SKIP AHEAD TO
At a Glance
Just one member of the teaching team needs to create the private Slack workspace for your course. Once it’s created, other teaching team members will be prompted to join the workspace when clicking on Slack (Beta) in the Course Navigation Menu.
Please note the following:
- We recommend communicating with your teaching team to determine who will be in charge of creating the Slack workspace for your course.
- The Slack integration in Canvas can only be used in credit-bearing courses at MIT.
- Your Canvas course must be published in order for students to join your Slack workspace.
- Teaching teams and students must access their Slack workspace for the first time through their Canvas course by clicking on Slack (Beta) in the Course Navigation Menu. Subsequently, teaching teams and students can access it directly through the Slack app of their choice (e.g., Desktop, iOS), rather than from Canvas.
- Multiple Sections:
- If you have a single Canvas site with multiple sections, Slack will combine all sections into a single private workspace. This means that anyone enrolled in your Canvas site will have access to this combined workspace, allowing for seamless communication and collaboration across all sections.
In this guide for teaching teams, you’ll learn how to create a private Slack workspace for your Canvas course.